Estafette- Introduction new member

Mario

Estafette- Introduction new member

Postby Mario » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:16 am

Hi My name is Jim (Mario is the name given to the van by the previous owner ) I am new to the club and now the proud owner of a 1974 Estafette LWB Camper . They seem to be very thin on the ground in the UK . Are there other members in the club with one ? Contacts for spares would be good . Get in touch and maybe we can help each other out.

Regards Jim

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Re: Estafette- Introduction new member

Postby ROCAdmin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am

Would you like me to copy this to the September renotes as the whole club gets that?

Mario

Postby Mario » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Yes please.
Jim

bussingalong

Postby bussingalong » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Jim
I have just purchased an Estafette in Belgium but I am struggling to get the bus identified by Renault UK as they have no way of being to give me any information as they cant recognise the id plate I am told I do know its a R 1237 and on the diamond plate under the passenger side bulkhead it reads 907 90 68 , It is still in Belgium at the moment but I am trying to get it brought over at the moment .
I would be interested in looking at any photos that you have, did you bring it back from France yourself :?:
Mine is light blue and the mileage on the speedo is 43593 km

I hope that I can be redirected to the correct section
As I am a newby I would like to say a big hi to all and look forward to being guided by your expertise and experience.
regards
chris

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 pm

To some degree we can help but the reason they may be confused is they need both the Diamond and Oval plates. There is then a form to fill in available through the club that is sent with a fee to France. The problem you do have is the chassis plates are issued in order accross the board (in terms of the Diamond one) but I can tell you that from others we know yours will be after Jim's which we currently have as the best guess as 1974 until the forms come back.
Otther identification if you can get photos are the front, lights, step, rear filler and some other areas. Taking a punt I would say a year and a half after Jim's

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 pm

PS the number they need is on the OVAL plate. There will be 3, the top will be R2137, then a serial in the middle and the main one at the bottom.

If you think of it like this, your diamond plate goes on yours, the next one goes on the next one off the line which could be a 4, a 5, a 12 etc. but the Ovals are in sequence. A little bit loose in explanation as really a bunch would be at the end of each line but if you go far enough back, like 2468168 is my 750 in 1955....so only about 7 million made in between....

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 pm

PS it would also be good to know who at Renault UK you were talking to as normally they pass people straight on to us as we date cars for tge DVLA too. The Belgium documents should say date of first reg and if you can get them they will help the cause with the DVLA as they only accept "official" documents. You can get these from Renault France but they charge a fee. This goes up if the person applying is not in the original country it was sold in. If they have the records though, the build card will show all the numbers.

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 pm

PS Jim, the magazine with you request in is back from the printers on the 5th and going out for posting that week/weekend so hopefully some replies soon

Mario

Postby Mario » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Chris
you now have the best information , the club was very helpful to me in dating my van . I am at the moment trying to join the Dutch Estafette club as they seem good (but expensive ) for parts and information . I did not import the van myself , It has been in the UK for 10 years , but never registered .
Keep in touch and hopefully we can share our knowledge as information on the UK is scarce.
Jim

Return to “Classic Post 1940”