newbie, twingo mk1 owner :)

yorkshirerider

newbie, twingo mk1 owner :)

Postby yorkshirerider » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi all,my name is iain, and i live in leeds, i first saw your club at the NEC when i was displaying my other car, a austin metro. i joined at the nec and here is my storyt of my 1993 launch spec renault twingo.

i bought the around 6 months back, the car wasnt in the best of conditions! the work i have done totally outwayed anything i had imagined!

the main thing is i wanted the car as origional as possible, its been a mega challange as you will see below

the car is a 1993 basic twingo with the panoramic roof, heres a pic on delivery!....

Work quickly started as the brakes were caput and the rear bearings were also kaput, i renenwed all brake discs pads and rear shoes and drums, only to find the wheel cylinders were leaking so these had to be replaced, also then the handbrake cables were all corroded, these were replaced. However when i went to adjust the handbrake the adjustment bolt snapped! arghhh! so a brand new macanism and leaver was purchased from renault.

Then the conversion to uk headlights began, the old ones were knackered, so i bought a brand new set, and a second hand set, the second hand set are on the car now for the winter, the brand new set will go on next year

The main problem was the car over fuelling, this turned out to be a living knightmare!, eventually some parts were obtained from geoff on this forum, i replaced the throttle body, the ecu and the coolant temp sensor, and this appeared to cure the problem....

How wrong was i! - In the interim the car also had all the door rubbers replaced, the internal and external rubbers as these were perished.
On the day before the mot, problems really began, the car was pressurising, and i was pretty certain the head gasket was going, so i decided to strip the engine down.....

Eventually had the head totally rebuilt and skimmed as below

it turned out that a valve wasnt seated right aswell, this could also caused the overfuelling fault as stated above.

I then rebuilt the head, and was about to start the car and there was water dripping out from the water pump!! i was sooo angry as i couldnt get to the pump without taking the head back off!, i also realised the pump was on its way out, so rebuild numbner two with new water pump

got the car built back up and finally after replacing the thermostat, pipes bleed nipples etc etc the car finally ran perfect!.
HOWEVER
On the way to the test station (bear in mind id never driven it) i heard a knocking noise, i knew straight away this was the driveshaft! so these also got replaced, the car is here on the day of the mot

The car failed :( on the cat ( i think this was due to the head gasket going and passing water through it) so the whole exhaust system including cat were replaced, and the car passed tthe test :)

upon loosing my father, in his memory i put a private plate on the twingo, the car is seen here at my dads house whilst we were clearing it out, the car is now in daily use.

and here at my house with the private plate on

As you will all notice the car doesnt have the right trims on, i wanted the car as origional as possible, these are the winter wheels, the prigional wheels i have had shotblasted and powder coated, along with some brand new `cheese grater` trims the car should have, all ready to go on in the summer

THE FUTURE,
The car needs a o/s front wing as mine is dented, i also have some seals from the roof on order from renault, i also have a brand new wheel to go on the car (yes an origional one)

so thats my story, i do plan to buy a newer twingo in a couple of years and sell this one, its been hard work, but the cars been worth every penny, its in daily use and runs like a dream! (now), hope to see you at some shows??

also i did meet someone at the nec who said they had a manual for my car in english, he was off this site, anyone know who this is please??

iain

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Re: newbie, twingo mk1 owner :)

Postby ROCAdmin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Me guilty and a brave man that does the work on the kitchen table, The files are quite large so what is the best email for them please?

yorkshirerider

Postby yorkshirerider » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:12 am

thank you so much for email

and yes i was in big trouble when the other half saw the kitchen table photo!

SwissTwingo

Postby SwissTwingo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi I hope you and your Twingo are doing well! Great job by the way. Can you help with sourcing RHD headlights?

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:37 pm

It is well worth sending stuff like this to the editor first so all the members can enjoy reading it in Renotes

twingo

Postby twingo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Awesome work with this! Love how you've kept it original.

SwissTwingo wrote:Hi I hope you and your Twingo are doing well! Great job by the way. Can you help with sourcing RHD headlights?

I saw my first Twingo in Switzerland and bought one in the UK on my return. Later I had to buy a second Twingo after the first one was written off. For the second one, I got my RHD headlights off eBay, back in 2007, from a seller called greenwoodmillview, real name Steve/Stephen Greenwood.

ROCAdmin
Site Admin

Postby ROCAdmin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:11 pm

It would be worth sending this in to the magazine.

Return to “Young Timers”